Kent articled with the firm in 1995, has been practicing with the firm since his call to the Bar in 1996, and was admitted as a partner in the firm in January 2003. With over 22 years experience, Kent practices primarily in the area of Business Law; including commercial real estate, financing, business acquisitions and sales, mergers and amalgamations, corporate reorganizations, subdivisions and real property development. In addition to his Business Law practice, Kent also represents financial institutions and businesses in foreclosure and collections and represents individuals in various matters including wills and estate planning, estates administration and residential real estate.
Kent is the successor to the practices of Doug Mackenzie (who retired December 31, 2013) and Garth Reimer (who retired as partner December 31, 2016).
Kent helps businesses of all sizes in a variety of areas including: contract drafting; purchases and sales of businesses; business relationships among co-owners and shareholders; businesses in transition to the next generation and employee groups and other restructuring; and general legal advice relating to the day-to-day requirements of business clients.
Kent provides a wide range of legal assistance to developers including: subdivision; negotiation and implementation of development agreements, zoning agreements and other agreements with planning authorities; development and registration of development schemes and easements; co-ordination of all registration requirements; and sales of resulting lands. Kent has experience with small and large developments including: 2-lot subdivisions (residential and commercial); large, planned communities with residential, multi-family, commercial and institutional lands; bare land condominiums; apartment-style condominiums and some of the most unique condominium developments in the province. Kent brings creativity of thought and diligent pursuit of results to the teams involved in these development projects, working closely with planners, surveyors, architects and developers to bring these projects to fruition.
Whether acting for commercial businesses, land developers or individuals, Kent’s focus on practical solutions is always beneficial to finding reasonable, cost-effective solutions to the issues presented.
- Member, Manitoba Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Participated as a Facilitator, CPLED Program
- Performed contract work for Law Society of Manitoba, Discipline Department
- Assisted with editing for Law Society of Manitoba, Education Department
- Presenter, Manitoba Bar Association Mid-Winter Meetings
- Past member Business Advisory Council, Network South Enterprises
- Past member and Chair, Board of Trustees, Fort Gary Evangelical Mennonite Church
- Has performed extensively in the Winnipeg choral community including performances with the University Singers (University of Manitoba), Winnipeg Philharmonic Choir and the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra
- Past member of the Board of Directors of Canzona, a baroque choral ensemble based in Winnipeg
- Kent was selected by his peers for inclusion in the Ninth Edition of Best Lawyers® in Canada in the practice area of Trusts and Estates
- Kent was selected by his peers for inclusion in the Tenth Edition of Best Lawyers® in Canada in the practice area of Trusts and Estates
- Kent was selected by his peers for inclusion in the Eleventh Edition of Best Lawyers® in Canada in the practice area of Trusts and Estates
- Kent was selected by his peers for inclusion in the Twelvth Edition of Best Lawyers® in Canada in the practice areas of Trusts and Estates and Commercial Leasing
- For the fifth consecutive year, Kent was included in Best Lawyers® in Canada. Kent is included in the Thirteenth edition in the areas of Commercial Leasing, and in Trusts and Estates
- Kent has been selected for inclusion in the Fourteenth Edition (2020) of Best Lawyers® in Canada in the practice areas of Real Estate Law, Trusts and Estates, and Commercial Leasing Law
- Chown Centennial Scholarship Recipient, University of Manitoba, 1985
- University of Manitoba, B.Sc. 1991
- University of Manitoba, LL.B. 1995